Wednesday, November 12, 2008

He said:
- But, Land Reform...
She said:
- You gonna tell me you're against it?
He tried bailing:
- It's a complex issue.
She insisted:
- Hold on a sec.
- Gimme a kiss, girl.
- Wait. This is important. I want to know.
- What?
- Land Reform. Are you against it?
- Why? Are you for it?
- Obvie.
- You want the old man to have his land taken from him and given away?
- Your father owns a lot of land?
- Tons.
- I did not know that!
- There is a lot about me you still don't know, sweetheart. Come here and I'll show you...
- Wait. Seriously.
- Gimme some...
- Seriously though, shit.
- Ok. What do you want to know?
- Your dad. How many hectares does he own? Or acres? Is it hectares or acres?
- I dunno. I've never been out there.
- How many?
- Lots.
- More or less?
- Look, they can get in a jeep at the farm in the morning, drive all day and not reach the end of our lands...
- Jesus!
- The jeep always breaks down. Now gimme a kiss, please...
- Stop.
- Come here, woman!
- No. Look, I just never thought...
- What? That my dad is a farmer? How do you think I am paying for school? And the car? And the apartment? And our engagement rings?
- Does he own unproductive land?
- Yes. It's exactly the land that he is keeping to give to us when we get married. It's our land, honey.
- But... what about your speech?
- Well...
- Even I thought it was a bit radical. And you know I lean to the left...
- Let's not fight over this.
- But, the things you're always talking about... Social justice...
- Yes.
- The insensitivity of the rich in this country...
- I stand by it.
- The absurdity of the landless in a country this big...
- Absolutely.
- Ok. The other night. At this very bar. You said that all private property is theft. I thought that was so inspiring...
- The phrase just popped into my head. Now, listen...
- And now you tell me you are against Land Reform.
- I am not against Land Reform. Theoretically, I am for it.
- So then...
- Don't you get it? Now it's not theory. Now it's the old man's land!

0 comments:

Post a Comment